Less than 10% say airplanes are their biggest concern
Research from Digitas, the Connected Marketing Agency, reveals that Road Warriors (defined as individuals who travel more than ten times a year for business) are eager to begin traveling. Of those surveyed, 45% want to travel by plane for business within one month of restrictions being lifted, but 40% believe their employer will prevent them from traveling in the near future.
- Digitas’ research shows that 54% of these travelers hold airlines most responsible for keeping them safe throughout their travel ribbon, with only 8% and 7% holding the federal government and their employer responsible, respectively.
- In response to the question, ‘Which portion of your journey is of most concern in terms of personal safety?’, surprisingly only 10% of respondents say airplanes; the biggest concern among respondents (38%) are taxis and rideshare services.
- Road Warriors now also want to know a trip’s ROI before travel begins, and there is an expectation that employers will compensate them according to the risk involved. Responses include:
- “I want a better salary for the risk I would be taking.”
- “(I would need) more sales offers and services to think about whether or not it is worth following.”
- “I would like to be offered an economic remuneration for leaving the trip under risky conditions.”
- Before COVID-19 the most frequent reasons for business travel were client (65%+) and internal meetings (60%+).
- The reasons for travel are changing in the Covid-19 era: More than 15% of respondents say they will no longer travel for client meetings, and more than 20% say they will no longer travel for internal meetings.
The five key barriers preventing Road Warriors from taking their first trip, according to our research:
- Employers will not approve business travel
- Employers will fail to provide necessary safety measures
- Possibility of getting sick and spreading the virus to family
- Possibility of being stuck away from home for a considerable amount of time
- Cannot trust other travelers to follow safety guidelines
- Send personalized messaging to Corporate Travel Managers that outline updated guidelines for business travelers and what your company is doing in partnership with government agencies to keep their employees safe.
- Frequently update Covid-19 landing pages for your top corporate customers with all the procedures, tips and tools for their employees.
- Create a ‘clean package’ with your key airline, rental, rideshare and hotel partners.
- Partner with the latest technology innovators and health providers on the safety measures you are providing to customers.
- Leverage your brand’s app by sending daily push notifications on the latest in-market government health information. Partner with the CDC or local governments.
- Communicate sanitation and health policies with frequency to restate your company’s commitment to safety.
- Provide customers with PPE to create a greater sense of ease while traveling.
- Provide key information and best practices to Corporate Travel Managers to share with their company employees before they travel to ensure they’re protected while away from home.
“The airline industry carries a tremendous responsibility in getting our economy back up and running. Road Warriors play a large part of airline revenue, and listening to them will offer stakeholders a guide on how to best re-engage the travel, tourism and hospitality sectors.” -- Alyse Schwartz, SVP/Managing Director, Atlanta, Digitas
Methodology: Digitas surveyed 820 Road Warriors in May, 2020. Respondents were based in the US and must have taken a minimum of 10 Business trips requiring a flight in 2019. A link to the research can be found here.